Feature Request: Pattern Properties, circle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sketch

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  14:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! As I'm designing a new pattern, I sometimes want to lay out all the elements in a circle to match a hoop diameter- for pieces that are going to be displayed finished in hoops. I can, of course, draw a circle, manually, the diameter of the hoop, but is there a clever, direct way to do that? I haven't figured it out. So right now, to layout a phrase and some decorative flowers in an 8" hoop, I start my pattern at 9" square, then make a circle by hand, to look at for composition. It's really awkward. Plus, I'm not going to stitch it, but I like having it there for a guide to see, so my stitch-count and thread guides have an extra color that isn't in the pattern.

Could we have a way in the Pattern Properties panel to specify a diameter as an option, to overlay on top of the grid as defined by the rest of the options? That would be SO HELPFUL!

thank you!

Sketch (she/her)
new to cross stitch, excited to learn

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  15:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the problem with what you want is it is dependent upon physical size and PCStitch (although it can use size) is more designed to be used with STITCHES and drawing a circle with a 8" diameter is not the same as drawing a circle with a diameter of 112 stitches (8" at 14 count).

That same limitation is for your pattern itself. You may define it to be for an 8" hoop and design it for 14 count fabric, but what if the person stitching decides to use 18 count fabric. Then the pattern will look finer but smaller.

With that limitation in mind, you could manually create ONE circle of the size you want and SAVE it as an object and then load that object for each pattern you want!

That's the best I can suggest at this time.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Sketch

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2023 :  01:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

I came up with a different solution that I'll share here, in case I'm not the last person to think of it. :-)

My oval hoop arrived in the mail and I measured its outside dimensions and then set my patten size to match that. Then I put the hoop on my scanner and scanned it! I used photoshop to crop the image to just the hoop edges and to define the size of the image in inches. Then I used that image as an underlay. I clicked 100% on the left and Image Size to scale on the right and it worked. Of course I'm leaving myself a little extra wiggle room to be sure, but I think this should be fine.

I like your idea, too. I just found the tutorial on how to make your own libraries, so I could make some hoops based on the underlay and put them in a library, but as you point out I'd have to be careful that the grid size is the same each time.

Anyway, I have it for now, and thank you!

Sketch (she/her)
new to cross stitch, excited to learn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000