How to Import PDF pattern pieces?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sketch

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  21:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry for posting so much! I'm new, and full of newbie curiosity and enthusiasm... and confusion!

I'm working on a design that has some text and will have some decorative borders. I bought some border patterns on etsy that come in as a digital download of a .pdf. I'd like to include, say, a fragment of border that I can copy and paste and mirror etc. How do I do that?

Import seems to only be able to do .jpg and .png files, but if I convert a PDF of the pattern to a JPG in photoshop I get the lines, too, and also then the import tool isn't calibrated to one square = one square.

Help?
thanks!

Sketch (she/her)
new to cross stitch, excited to learn

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  22:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PCStitch is only designed to import images - such as .jpg as you noted.

Also, importing any image isn't as clean as many expect. It just sees an image and what you see and clean black/white images, it sees as shades of gray that do not have clean edges.

Personally, I recommend MANUALLY converting the PDF to PCStitch.

It's time-consuming but fairly easy with modern monitors. I would have PCStitch set to about half-width of the display (I use the left side) and the PDF, again half-width of the display (I use the right side). Some overlap is possible as neither use to the full edge of the window.

Zoom the PDF so that the stitches are large enough to see but not so large that they blur too much (very possible with PDFs). Then create your pattern and define your own colors and size on the PCStitch window. Just count-create (repeat as needed) to create a PCStitch pattern from the PDF.

As I said, it's time-consuming but very possible. I've done it for years! I often have an audio book or music in the background as I convert. It's very relaxing.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Sketch

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2023 :  01:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks-- I was afraid this would be the answer. :-D

I just learned about some of the extensive free on-line libraries of antique borders and wanted to make some custom libraries. But now that sounds like a huge project. Oh well, Thanks, though!

quote:
Originally posted by Dragonlair

PCStitch is only designed to import images - such as .jpg as you noted.

Also, importing any image isn't as clean as many expect. It just sees an image and what you see and clean black/white images, it sees as shades of gray that do not have clean edges.

Personally, I recommend MANUALLY converting the PDF to PCStitch.

It's time-consuming but fairly easy with modern monitors. I would have PCStitch set to about half-width of the display (I use the left side) and the PDF, again half-width of the display (I use the right side). Some overlap is possible as neither use to the full edge of the window.

Zoom the PDF so that the stitches are large enough to see but not so large that they blur too much (very possible with PDFs). Then create your pattern and define your own colors and size on the PCStitch window. Just count-create (repeat as needed) to create a PCStitch pattern from the PDF.

As I said, it's time-consuming but very possible. I've done it for years! I often have an audio book or music in the background as I convert. It's very relaxing.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question

Sketch (she/her)
new to cross stitch, excited to learn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000