Other Crafts
 Crochet Graphs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pwoodall

14 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  22:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of purchasing this product to make my own graphs from pictures for blankets. I have downloaded the trial file. I know nothing about cross stitch. what is cloth count which is set at 14 and I am supposed to change that and the other cross stitch features
Thanks

Dragonlair

USA
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  07:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The count of 14 indicates the size of the stitches. That is 14 "x" stitches for each inch across and down a pattern. Most cross-stitch is square. 14 count is the "standard" and is the most common size of stitch to make. Other common values are 18 and 22. Note that the larger the number, the smaller the stitch meaning you make more stitches per inch and therefore each stitch requires less material (floss) to make.

The key to any pattern is the graph. Given that graph, the pattern can be done using any craft that accepts patterns in this way. That is, other than specialty stitches such as backstitches, lazy daisy stitches and so forth.

Even with the count at 14, if you wish to do a pattern in a different count the only thing to keep in mind that it will require a different size piece of cloth and use a different amount of floss than the estimate (in Floss Usage) indicates. That estimate is just that -- an estimate and my experience has shown it not to be all that accurate anyway!

Basically - just play with it. Read up on the terms for the craft and teach yourself! That's the fun part.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000