PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Other Topics
 Cross Stitch in General
 Conversion of picture

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alix_marie Posted - 05/10/2017 : 00:53:34
Hi, I have the software of PC Stitch 9 for a while but have not been using it until recently.

I find it difficult to control the quality of chart for cross stitch when converting from any pictures. Usually the chart is not fine enough for stitching a desirable cross stitch piece.

I am thinking maybe I don't have enough understanding of how the number of pixels work? Or I missed any important thing when converting the picture.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alix_marie Posted - 05/11/2017 : 02:31:32
Thank you, Diane.

Maybe the first I need to do is to get familiar with manipulating pixels.

Does that mean I should import a picture in small size but with high number of pixels to get a fine chart for cross stitch?

Dragonlair Posted - 05/10/2017 : 12:54:06
I never thought of it as magnification or reduction - just a 1-1 ratio of pixels and stitches. You will still get confetti stitches with this method because the computer sees colors differently than you do. What you may see as a sharp black line, it sees with fuzzy edges and that will always require tweaking to make it look good.

From experience -- the conversion from a picture to a pattern, without tweaking, will not look that good. It's pretty easy to spot patterns that have not been tweaked. They have odd colors stuck where they don't belong, fuzzy edges where they shouldn't be and just don't look good. Take the time -- make it the best you can do. Spend the hours it takes to tweak even a small project. You'll be so glad in the long run.

As for the second question - blending - it's simple to do and works best with an even number of threads and even then, looks better if you "railroad" your stitches. Blending with PCStitch is limited to 2 colors. I think some software allows more but the more you have, the harder the stitching is! All you do is select you base color and "add" it to your palette. Then select the blended (2nd color) and select "blend" instead of "add". It changes the first color's display to a kind of cross-hatch of both colors. That is how it looks in the pattern. Blending filaments are added the same way, it's still a blend but blending filaments are finer in texture, usually. If you have already added colors, just select the color you wish to be the base of the blend in the floss palette and then select the blended color. The blending always goes to the selected color, not the first, last or anything arbitrary.

Good Luck,

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Alix_marie Posted - 05/10/2017 : 09:52:02
Thank you for your response, Diane.

So it has to be magnification to a certain extent to have a fine quality?

BTW, I saw someone mentioned a 'blend color' option but I never saw it in the software. Can you enlighten me?
Dragonlair Posted - 05/10/2017 : 07:27:12
The number one tip I always give for converting a picture to a pattern is to make the image tiny! What you want is 1 pixel = 1 stitch! That way the software has a much easier time determining just what color stitch to use. Just determine the size of the desired pattern. If in inches, convert that to the appropriate stitch count for the fabric you want to use.

If your desired project is 8 X 10 and you want to work on 14 count aida, then multiple each the 8 and the 10 by 14 to get the stitch count. That gives you the pixel dimensions you need for the initial image.

It will look tiny. Don't worry, the computer can still see it. Use something like paint or Irfanview (I prefer Irfanview because it keeps the aspect ratio) to resize the original and go at it.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000