PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Other Topics
 Cross Stitch in General
 Charting cross stitch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bobbietravis Posted - 05/20/2020 : 07:52:15
I am a complete novice to charting and feeling very inept. I am trying to chart a project for my church ( the canvases for which will be given to a mixed ability group). We will be using cross stitch on 14 count canvas but each stitch uses a grid of 9 holes, as it were (3x3), rather than a smaller stitch using a grid of 4 holes, with only the outer corner stitches being shared so only the centre line is unused by adjacent stitches.If I set my bold lines every 3, this is wrong, and it seems 2 is wrong as well... so how do I set it out?
Is it possible to have an ultra large cross stitch to reflect the use of the larger stitch... rather than just filling in each box?

BT
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bobbietravis Posted - 05/21/2020 : 14:43:30
Thank you for your help. It's been a busy day, but I will try tomorrow.

BT
Dragonlair Posted - 05/20/2020 : 12:29:21
You're right - I always use the stitch count, not the inches count. That makes for a much more flexible pattern. It makes it truly independent of the size/count of the material. You could take your design, make a smaller version of it and frame it.

As for the copy/paste, to select part of the pattern, use the arrow icon (selection tool. Go to the upper left corner of what you want to copy and then drag the mouse down and to the right to get the area you wish to copy. If you miss, just click and then click the starting point to start over.

Pasting does indeed put the motif in the upper left corner. Just put your mouse INTO that area and DRAG it to where you want it to be. It's really very easy. Once you have it where you want, just release the mouse button and it stays there. Click again and the box around it goes away.

If you goof, do an undo.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
bobbietravis Posted - 05/20/2020 : 11:28:38
This is kind, thank you - but as I originally set the size of the pattern in inches, it is more complicated. I am trying to set the pattern out and work out how many motifs I have across the kneeler.
It sounds from what you are saying that I need to work out the number of stitches I have overall across the width and height, ignoring the holes per inch on the canvas, and then set that as the number of stitches on the pc program, as the size of the "work" and then chart the motif from that point.
The other issue I had was when I did the first motif, I tried to copy and paste it, but there were two problems...
1. I didn't want to "select all", only part, and that proved impossible and
2. the paste always went to the top left hand corner. I couldn't seem to set the cursor in a place to receive the pasting. How does one do that. ctrl c / ctrl v always led the pattern being copied in the same unwanted place.

BT
Dragonlair Posted - 05/20/2020 : 09:25:56
Actually, the pattern is independent of the size of the stitches. You're effectively doing a 4 - 5 count project. You could reflect that by changing the size of the grid count in the properties but it's not even necessary. I'm guessing you're using at least a 6 ply thread. Much more than that won't fit through the holes and even that will be tight with everybody meeting at the corners.

Just ignore that fact that your stitches are not using every hole in the canvas, just grid as if it were and give that information in the instructions.

That way, your pattern can be used again and again regardless of what size material you are using.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000