PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Other Topics
 Life, the Universe, and Everything Else
 General Installation Suggestions and Warnings!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dragonlair Posted - 04/23/2015 : 15:38:44
I know, this is a bit off topic for this kind of forum but it seems that users of PCStitch are like users of other products -- some more and some less experienced with PCs.

Therefore, I would like to give a few general warnings/suggestions that should be well known to those who use/install products onto their PCs regularly (as I do).

The first is a great big warning to BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Before you actually install a product, run the installer program through your anti-virus. Yes, it should be checked on download but it's not bad to double check. If the site is trusted, then this step may not be needed.

Although the actual product you wish to install is simple and direct, most installs are not so simple -- especially for free products.

Watch the prompts very very very carefully. Do not just click "next" as many products want to install other products, or toolbars or change your search engine and even change your browser home page if you're not careful. Even Adobe (Reader and FlashPlayer) want to install McAfee with the actual product you're requesting.

If possible, take the "advanced" or "custom" option. The "quick" or "default" option almost always includes other stuff.

Do not be afraid to "uncheck" or "decline" if you're not sure. The worst issue there is your base product won't be installed and that's better than some of the garbage you get.

If you do get something unwanted, get a product like Revo Uninstaller (free version is using 32 bit processor) to remove not only the actual product but extra files and registry entries. Sometimes even these fail to get everything.

If in doubt -- ASK QUESTIONS!

I hope this saves someone from a potential nightmare! Note -- even the most cautious will be occasionally stung by these jerks. I did recently and I know the rules. Sometimes garbage comes in despite all your actions!

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
morlaine Posted - 04/23/2015 : 16:17:30
Hallelujah! This is the best post ever. I've been burned many times but have just recently started running all program files through my virus program. And I found out about Adobe the hard way. They must be truly hard up for money to pull a fast one like that on their customers. I'm sure they get a kick-back from those programs that aren't part of what you were expecting. I've also learned the hard way to select the Custom install. They try to scare you away by saying for experienced users only. That's not true, it's not difficult at all. Using that option allows to see pretty much everything they are trying to sneak past you.

Thanks for the great post.

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000