PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PCStitch Forums
 PatternsOnline.com
 For those who sell their patterns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
FarnhamArts Posted - 07/29/2011 : 23:30:23
I was wondering... what do you sell the most of? color graphs with symbol on it or the no frill black and white symbol one?

I have a couple (when finished) I plan to offer up on the forum for free... but also want to start selling some too (with the way the gov't is going... we might not get our ss checks in Aug....)... sooooo

It has been a L O N G time since I've sold any patterns... as in it was W A Y back in the day where I took a FILM picture and waited over a week to get the picture back, put it with the printed graph in a zip lock bag.... yea, WAY back when... so I'm a little out of the loop on what customers prefer.

Thanks ya'll... think I'll go to bed...I'm beat!

gini

Families with children of special needs do not wait out the storm, we dance in the rain!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dragonlair Posted - 06/17/2016 : 07:30:08
As long as you don't even OPEN any of the pre-defined motifs or any other library object, there is no problem in selling the patterns.

The key is -- it must be totally your own design and not violate anybody's copyright in the process. For example, if your pattern includes Mickey Mouse, it's violating Disney's copyright. Even if the design is all your own, it's of a copyrighted character.

I've gotten patterns many times that have that PCStitch message. It's a form of advertising FOR PCStitch that kind of comes along with your design. A bonus for the software.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Myneedle Posted - 06/17/2016 : 04:21:29
Hi i am New here.I bought PCstitch 10 yesterday.I would like to ask,is it possible to sell my patterns I made With PCstitch 10?When I print them in PDF I can see "Printed by PCstitch"I am making patterns for hardanger embroidery.I am making all stitches by myself not using stitches that exist in this program.Thank you so very much !!!
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonlair

Personally, I prefer black/white charts with a color photo of the finished design. I make a photo copy of any printed pattern I have to preserve the original from wear and tear. There are times it would get worn to the point that symbols would be "rubbed" out. When using e-charts, again, I prefer black/white. Ink is not cheap and the colored ink is even more expensive than the black ink. Therefore, I prefer to print as cheaply as possible. having the backstitch lines in color is acceptable and preferred. Using the different styles can obscure the stitch symbol and make the chart harder to use.

Diane

RedInLove Posted - 12/30/2015 : 15:54:01
I like at least a color image for reference. On large patterns, I highlight what I've stitched so a black and white symbol pattern is perfect for this. I've done a couple small projects that were color symbol charts that I had no problem following without marking.

Ellen
Seekker Posted - 12/13/2015 : 22:27:05
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce_Berryhill

I had made some assumptions about how to market cross stitch patterns to people. Then I started to do some research on the matter. I used several facebook cross stitch groups to post a series of questions with an open ended "other: fill in the blank" question at the end. What I got out of it was more people still prefer a printed version with larger easy to read symbols and words. Many still prefer the pattern books, would love to buy them at their local hobby shops, but are dismayed by the dwindling supply and variety at said shops. They see the Internet as the culprit.

Many still want black & white patterns as they feel they are easier to use. But there are customers, typically female but not always, who are cool with downloading .PDFs. They like having the freedom to print off just the page(s) they need, being able to read their pattern(s) right off their tablet or laptop computers. The fact that digital media takes up the same amount of space as the physical size of their hard drive(s) or other mass storage no matter how many "objects" they load onto them. They also recognize that online patterns are often cheaper than printed patterns and can be obtained nearly instantly. A huge gas-saving as well as time saving measure.

While there are divisions between these two groups that are "one or the other" there were some that used both. They see value in both types of patterns. They directed me to some web site that is "revolutionary" for what it does. Combining sci-fi art with cross stitch patterns and paying a small percentage to the artists each time one of their patterns is sold. I don't recall the name of the company. They offer different sizes of .PDFs at different prices. From a logistics point of view you may wish to have one or two options for your .PDFs such as a standard size and an large print size. Or just go with a large print size of about 14 to 18 point font. You might be surprised how many customers will thank you for that.

But what these participants really appreciated was someone taking the time to ask them what they wanted rather than relying on assumptions. So, in short, go do some research first to see what your targeted customer base really wants.

Cheers

Children's Horror Writer, Game Designer, DJ, VJ, Fractal Artist, Animator, care giver to my older mentally retarded brother

I've created 91,000 fractals, 16,800 HD-8k VJ Loops, 60+ short fractal animations (deep zooms), two major science fiction themed games (with their own custom laws of physics and language), I've written dozens of short stories for children's horror

This was awesome information! Thank you so very much for sharing.
Bruce_Berryhill Posted - 09/19/2015 : 09:51:54
I had made some assumptions about how to market cross stitch patterns to people. Then I started to do some research on the matter. I used several facebook cross stitch groups to post a series of questions with an open ended "other: fill in the blank" question at the end. What I got out of it was more people still prefer a printed version with larger easy to read symbols and words. Many still prefer the pattern books, would love to buy them at their local hobby shops, but are dismayed by the dwindling supply and variety at said shops. They see the Internet as the culprit.

Many still want black & white patterns as they feel they are easier to use. But there are customers, typically female but not always, who are cool with downloading .PDFs. They like having the freedom to print off just the page(s) they need, being able to read their pattern(s) right off their tablet or laptop computers. The fact that digital media takes up the same amount of space as the physical size of their hard drive(s) or other mass storage no matter how many "objects" they load onto them. They also recognize that online patterns are often cheaper than printed patterns and can be obtained nearly instantly. A huge gas-saving as well as time saving measure.

While there are divisions between these two groups that are "one or the other" there were some that used both. They see value in both types of patterns. They directed me to some web site that is "revolutionary" for what it does. Combining sci-fi art with cross stitch patterns and paying a small percentage to the artists each time one of their patterns is sold. I don't recall the name of the company. They offer different sizes of .PDFs at different prices. From a logistics point of view you may wish to have one or two options for your .PDFs such as a standard size and an large print size. Or just go with a large print size of about 14 to 18 point font. You might be surprised how many customers will thank you for that.

But what these participants really appreciated was someone taking the time to ask them what they wanted rather than relying on assumptions. So, in short, go do some research first to see what your targeted customer base really wants.

Cheers

Children's Horror Writer, Game Designer, DJ, VJ, Fractal Artist, Animator, care giver to my older mentally retarded brother

I've created 91,000 fractals, 16,800 HD-8k VJ Loops, 60+ short fractal animations (deep zooms), two major science fiction themed games (with their own custom laws of physics and language), I've written dozens of short stories for children's horror
FarnhamArts Posted - 08/02/2011 : 18:01:47
so... if I'm going to sell it, it might be good to offer the B/W version as well as the color version.

This is good info... thanks!

gini

Families with children of special needs do not wait out the storm, we dance in the rain!
Dragonlair Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:28:56
Personally, I prefer black/white charts with a color photo of the finished design. I make a photo copy of any printed pattern I have to preserve the original from wear and tear. There are times it would get worn to the point that symbols would be "rubbed" out. When using e-charts, again, I prefer black/white. Ink is not cheap and the colored ink is even more expensive than the black ink. Therefore, I prefer to print as cheaply as possible. having the backstitch lines in color is acceptable and preferred. Using the different styles can obscure the stitch symbol and make the chart harder to use.

Diane
FarnhamArts Posted - 08/02/2011 : 17:03:39
I was thinking the color charts were still popular... and I REALLY appreciate your taking the time to give me a rundown on how the numbers have been for you.

THANKS!!!!!

gini

heavenlyevil Posted - 08/02/2011 : 16:30:53
My patterns are free instead of paid, and distributed electronically, so that may have an effect on things. But each one has the option to download the colour chart, the b&w chart, or the pc stitch .pat file.

In the last year 87 people have downloaded the colour charts, 24 the black and white charts, and 23 people the .pat files. So in my case the colour charts are more popular by quite a large margin.

We're all mad here....You may have noticed I'm not all there myself. - Cheshire Cat

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000