Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jackiehannaford

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  14:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I've been going crazy trying to fight this same error for the last 4 days and Mark helped me figure out & fix the issue without having to reinstall Windows or deep six my machine altogether.

Here's what he told me:

"Something happened in the last update that affects the way printer settings are stored for the pdf printers. If the printer isn’t installed, then PCStitch will revert the settings for the pattern to the default printer. Can you try uninstalling the [whatever PDF writer you're using] driver and then see if you can open the patterns?"

I use CutePDF, so I just uninstalled that, switched over to Foxit for good measure, and problem solved!

As I told him in my reply email, MARK. IS. A. GENIUS.

I hope this saves other designers the days-long frustration and hair-pulling I had!

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  15:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original problem was the default Windows PDF generator with the latest Windows 10 upgrade. That upgrade has caused a host of problems and has been removed, patched, re-issued and still many have problems.

I used to use PrimoPDF as my PDF generator but stopped that when I got mad. They changed the install and it was so messy! It was trying to install more junk as I was trying to remove the junk it had already installed. I've used Foxit ever since.

I use Foxit for PDF viewers instead of Adobe because Adobe is known to be a resource hog. It may not be as bad as it once was but once burned - twice shy!

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Henabeny

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  16:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same issue! This fix unfortunately doesn’t work for me because I was using Microsoft Edge as my Print to PDF default. I can’t uninstall Edge as it is not a program.. it’s a viewer. I have tried absolutely everything, but I can’t seem to make the program print without crashing.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  20:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't get past the click of the print option to set the default printer, can you? I don't have Windows 10 so I don't have the issue.

The one thing I can suggest is to unistall the program. You may need to use Revo-Uninstaller or something like that to clear out the registry entries. That should clear out the default printer. Then you should be able to click on that option and set something else as the default printer.

Note -- Revo-Uninstaller now has a free version for 64 bit machines.

This should not affect your registration code. If there are issues, contact Mark.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Houston

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  17:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I was having this same issue this morning when I tried to open up a pattern I haven't opened in a couple months.
I don't know what it was, I updated pc stitch so it may be that, or it may have to do with one of the updates to Windows 10.
Diane suggested a fix that disables windows default pdf writer and it worked!!!! Thank you very much Diane!!!
I have foxit reader downloaded because of your suggestion so I am gonna make sure the print to pdf works but I'm sure it will because before the print/ preview window wouldn't even open.
Hope this helps someone else with the same issue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000