PCStitch User Forums
PCStitch User Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 PCStitch Forums
 PCStitch 11
 Printing error, help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
doregan8 Posted - 11/08/2017 : 16:37:40
Made a new pattern, I get the following erroe when I try to print:

System Error: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Do you want to email this information to PCStitch Technical Support?

I've had this before and a computer restart fixes it. Not so much today. Anyone?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Houston Posted - 08/13/2018 : 17:51:44
OK, I was having this same issue this morning when I tried to open up a pattern I haven't opened in a couple months.
I don't know what it was, I updated pc stitch so it may be that, or it may have to do with one of the updates to Windows 10.
Diane suggested a fix that disables windows default pdf writer and it worked!!!! Thank you very much Diane!!!
I have foxit reader downloaded because of your suggestion so I am gonna make sure the print to pdf works but I'm sure it will because before the print/ preview window wouldn't even open.
Hope this helps someone else with the same issue
Dragonlair Posted - 06/10/2018 : 20:14:09
You can't get past the click of the print option to set the default printer, can you? I don't have Windows 10 so I don't have the issue.

The one thing I can suggest is to unistall the program. You may need to use Revo-Uninstaller or something like that to clear out the registry entries. That should clear out the default printer. Then you should be able to click on that option and set something else as the default printer.

Note -- Revo-Uninstaller now has a free version for 64 bit machines.

This should not affect your registration code. If there are issues, contact Mark.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Henabeny Posted - 06/10/2018 : 16:17:46
I am having the same issue! This fix unfortunately doesn’t work for me because I was using Microsoft Edge as my Print to PDF default. I can’t uninstall Edge as it is not a program.. it’s a viewer. I have tried absolutely everything, but I can’t seem to make the program print without crashing.
Dragonlair Posted - 05/10/2018 : 15:58:19
The original problem was the default Windows PDF generator with the latest Windows 10 upgrade. That upgrade has caused a host of problems and has been removed, patched, re-issued and still many have problems.

I used to use PrimoPDF as my PDF generator but stopped that when I got mad. They changed the install and it was so messy! It was trying to install more junk as I was trying to remove the junk it had already installed. I've used Foxit ever since.

I use Foxit for PDF viewers instead of Adobe because Adobe is known to be a resource hog. It may not be as bad as it once was but once burned - twice shy!

Diane
jackiehannaford Posted - 05/10/2018 : 14:42:38
Hi all,

I've been going crazy trying to fight this same error for the last 4 days and Mark helped me figure out & fix the issue without having to reinstall Windows or deep six my machine altogether.

Here's what he told me:

"Something happened in the last update that affects the way printer settings are stored for the pdf printers. If the printer isn’t installed, then PCStitch will revert the settings for the pattern to the default printer. Can you try uninstalling the [whatever PDF writer you're using] driver and then see if you can open the patterns?"

I use CutePDF, so I just uninstalled that, switched over to Foxit for good measure, and problem solved!

As I told him in my reply email, MARK. IS. A. GENIUS.

I hope this saves other designers the days-long frustration and hair-pulling I had!

Jackie
Dragonlair Posted - 05/03/2018 : 10:21:09
Someone on another forum posted something that might help and might even help with Recent patterns. Turn off Microsoft's Print to PDF entirely.

Check out this link for how to do it: http://links.giveawayoftheday.com/s/tenforums.com/tutorials%2F35650-turn-off-microsoft-print-pdf-windows-10-a.html

Diane
Dragonlair Posted - 05/02/2018 : 22:10:19
That's a great deal of work and I know everybody involved thanks you for it.

I thought you were having problems with PCStitch 11, but you listed 10.

If it is 10, then you might try the demo of 11 and see if that will let you change that default.

Maybe what you need to do is to work enough "old" patterns to force all problem patterns off the recent list and then see if they will let you change the default.

I agree, it does look like the problem is Microsoft's print to PDF feature. I've never used it. I like Foxit.

Thanks for the info!

Diane
blimeycat Posted - 05/02/2018 : 21:59:56
I received an email from Mark today suggesting to uninstall/reinstall the program or roll back the updates. I've already tried both of those things, but I figured I'd try one more time to be able to for sure say I had done it. I was able to find a work around. Not sure if it will work for everyone, but here is the email I sent:

After reading your email, I decided to go back and try the above methods one more time, just to for sure be able to say I had done them. Unfortunately the problem persists, but I seem to have found a work around. Ahead lies a wall of text, but I figure it may be useful to you to figure out what's going on or to try and help others.

Here's what I did tonight:

I uninstalled/reinstalled PCStitch10. This did not change anything the first time.

I attempted to restore my Windows to a previous build. I wasn't able to go further back than Monday when I reset Windows. This didn't work either.

I reset Windows again, hoping maybe I could stop the process before the updates were applied. This uninstalls all apps, including PCStitch and reinstalls Windows. It gives you an option to keep all your files, which I did.

I reinstalled PCStitch 10.

I opened the pattern of which I need to make the PDF, and still couldn't use the Microsoft Print to PDF. HOWEVER this time the Print Options window did pop up before the program crashed. I decided to open a random pattern that I had not opened in a long time (THIS IS IMPORTANT.) to try and see if it was just the pattern causing the problem. The Print Options opened. The default print selected was my physical printer. I was able to print an actual copy. This is great because before I couldn't do that!

It seems that the Microsoft Print to PDF that is the problem. I downloaded FoxIt (thanks Diane!) and installed that. By testing another old pattern (one that hasn't been opened in this installation of PCStitch and DOESN'T APPEAR in the recent patterns list) I was able to save as a PDF using FoxIt's PDF printer.

I still haven't been able to switch the important pattern's printing preference to FoxIt, but luckily I have an old version of that pattern which I was able to switch. I can edit this version to the one I need to distribute.

TLDR: From what I can gather, it is the Microsoft Print to PDF that is the issue. If your pattern's printing preference is saved to that option, the program will crash. I've tested the above several times and have had success, though unfortunately I don't have more of a definite process. It was really just trial and error. I was successfully able to switch the printing preference of some of the older files to FoxIt from Microsoft, but that was only on the patterns that did not appear in the "recently" list.

I don't know if this will help/work the same way others, but I wanted to post what I did. Let me know if anything I've typed isn't clear.
Diaba Posted - 05/02/2018 : 10:13:24
So I've just completed the Windows 10 1803 update that was released yesterday. The problem is now worse. On Monday before my system updated I was actively using the print/preview feature. System requested a restart and I let it. Then the program error box started to appear. So I know that the update created the conflict. The newest update no longer gives an error box of any kind. The moment I touch the print/preview PCS11 shuts down and disappears forcing me to restart the program if I want to use it. I have been in email contact with PCS but the response was to uninstall, reboot, and reinstall the program which doesn't work.
blimeycat Posted - 05/01/2018 : 21:59:53
I've just sent him an email. Hopefully he may have some insight! I'm usually pretty tech savvy, but as soon as it comes to looking in codes/debugging, I am in over my head.
Dragonlair Posted - 05/01/2018 : 15:41:09
Yes, I would suggest you email Mark on the issue. It appears that it's NOT the program since it hasn't changed but today is Patch Tuesday and Microsoft did announce a major upgrade to Windows 10 today.

If you have anything around where you are with Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, I suggest trying to install PCStitch on that and then try to create your PDF. That should work around this until Microsoft does something.

You can also go to the Microsoft forums (you do have to create and ID) and post the issue there and maybe someone will have a workaround for you.

Your problem appears that the latest upgrade has blocked all access to print dialogs. You might try some other program to see if you can print using it. If you do that and then tell Mark what DID work, it would be more information for him to possibly know what the problem is.

Diane
blimeycat Posted - 05/01/2018 : 14:47:02
I cant access any of the print options. The error notice pops up before that and then the program crashes. So I don’t think it is my printer. I don’t need to print out paper copies, I’m just trying to generate the PDFs.

I found a temporary work around for the release I needed to make last night, but it would definitely be nice to get this fixed. I tried when I did some research here to do a system restore to try and get around the newest update, but for whatever reason didn’t have a restore date prior to that update.

I’ve been emailing Jennifer through the customer service communication on the website. Would you suggest emailing Mark as well?
Dragonlair Posted - 05/01/2018 : 10:31:54
You need to contact Mark with details of the problem and that it is Windows 10. There is a new update for Windows 10 due out tomorrow or you can get it now. I think it's called 1803. I've seen a description of it on another form. I don't have 10.

PCS hasn't been updated lately and is the only one that is new enough for Windows 10. As far as I know, though, PCStitch 10 works with the newer Windows. However, that won't help if you've already edited the pattern in 11.

What you might do is find someone who has PCStitch running on Windows 7, copy the pattern (.pat file) to that machine and print it. The print parameters should be the same.

Diane
Diaba Posted - 05/01/2018 : 09:37:52
It is definitely the Windows 10 update. My system was working all weekend and then forced the update yesterday. After that I also could not print from PCS11. Mine does not give an error, it freezes and then tells me PCStitch has stopped working and that Windows will close the program and notify me if a solution is available. If it were the printer it would allow you to open the print options/preview box but it doesn't even get that far. I'm going to have my IT company pull the update out and block my system from seeing it until a new release is issued or PCS tells us they fixed it.
Dragonlair Posted - 04/30/2018 : 22:09:11
As was mentioned before -- errors in printing may be the printer. I myself cannot use any HP printer directly from either PCStitch 10 or 11. They say they're compatible with Windows 7 but the only things that work with the printer is Foxit (an Adobe clone) and Internet Explorer.

Solution -- I print to PDF (Foxit in this case) and then go into Foxit and print.

You might try that. There are other PDF generators as virtual printers but I find Foxit the easiest to use. I used to use PrimoPDF but it's install got so bad with extra software installed without your consent that I literally threw it out!

Diane

PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000