PCStitch Standard
 Understanding pattern size and print options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cabala

2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  14:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to this program and relatively new to cross stitching. I learned how to a long long time ago but mainly using the kits. I have a little project in mind for my wife but am struggling having it come to fruition.

I wanted to stitch a poem I wrote with a nice border that can be framed and hung on her wall. Anyways I found this program because it lets me choose a border and then type in my poem and print the grid just like the kits i remember.

I wanted to do an 8.5 by 11 inch pattern with border and then poem in the middle. I have the border set and changed some of the colors and I had the poem title typed in. I went to print preview and it wants to print on 7 pages.

I'm not sure I understand the correlation to the pattern in the program to the printed layout. I chose 8.5" by 11" in new pattern options and a 16 type cloth. The lady in the store I am buying supplies from said it would be better for small words.

I saw an option to print the whole patter to one page but it makes everything super small. I really dont even understand what question I am trying to ask so please bare with me.

How come when I choose 8.5 by 11 but try to print to a 8.5 by 11 paper it wants to print on 7 pages. What am I failing to grasp here? I thought 16 type cloth meant that there was 16 stitches per inch.

Sorry for the extremely long post but I just want to try and make you understand my problem. If i can give any more info to let you help please dont hesitate to ask.

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  15:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several different definitions of "size" involved here.

First is the final project size - you state 8 1/2" X 11".
The second is the fabric size - you state 16 count
The third is the pattern size.

For a project using 16 count fabric to be the size you wish, you need to have the number of stitches about 136 X 176 (8.5*16 X 11*16).

Now the actual pattern you design may be used for any size fabric without changing the pattern. The recommended floss usage may be different but the actual pattern does not change. If you used this same design for 14 count, it would be 9.7 X 12.6 inches. For 18 count fabric it would be 7.6 X 9.8 inches. See the situation.

Now the actual pattern requires symbols far larger than "life sized". There are margins, line numbers, headers, and footers to accomodate as well. If you let the program decide the size, it normally will not print smaller than 12 symbols/stitches per inch. That itself is larger than your 16 count fabric.

I am working on a design right now (for 14 count) where the final design will be 18" x 15". The pattern (using 9 or 10 stitches/inch) will take 12 pages (plus the key). It's normal.

Also, remember that although you need a certain number of pages, it does not mean that every page will be full! The lastpage of each row may be only be a narrow band of stitches. Similar for the final row having a small number of rows.

Don't worry about how many pages are needed. You want the symbols to be large enough to be readily read. Just focus on getting the stitch count correct. If that is right, your project will be the correct size.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page

cabala

2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think I get it. The actual cloth type is mostly what determines final size! So say I add a border to a new design with initial design options of type 16 and size of 8.5 by 11 and if I were to say never mind I want to do 14 instead, I would still follow the pattern printed by the computer but since there is less stitches per inch the design will end up being bigger and vice versa the other way.

On a second note I am also having a problem with the lettering as well. I can't seem to find a font that allows me to go small enough without blurring the words i guess you could say. Basically the font is too small and the lettering doesnt have enough stitches to make certain letters distinguishable. Plus if I go too big then each line doesnt fit within my patter constraints.

Do you recommend doing the lettering on my own from a book or something? I have seen finished designs with small lettering so I dont understand the problem I am having here. My grandma has a cross stitch of the age old 'Footprints in the Sand' story and it fits nicely in about a 10X12 frame. My poem is not that long but long enough to look nice in a 8X12 ish design. Thanks for all the help. I hope this turns out right. I'm afraid it's been so long that I should probably start small with a kit again. But in all practicality this design is simple. It is just a simple border with lettering down the middle.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonlair

USA
2851 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  20:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right, the pattern is the pattern and can be done the same way using any size cloth. In fact, if there are no special stitches involved (such as backstitches, French knots, lazy daisys ...), you can use the exact same pattern for other crafts as well. The simple patterns can be used for needlepoint, latch hook, or beadwork at the very least. Even some crochet patterns can be done from the simpler designs. It's just a bunch of symbols that represent colors in given spots. How you do that and what size the "spots" are is up to you!

There are literally thousands of alphabets available. You should try to decide the size of the letters you need and then look for an alphabet of that size. There are some built into PCStitch (Stitched Fonts) and you can purchase others as Library Patterns. One of them might work. You can also buy books totally made of letters, some backstitched and some stitched and some a mix. You just need to look or decide to make your own.

In this case there is no "wrong" way, just thousands of possibilities.

Diane
There is no such thing as a stupid question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
PCStitch User Forums © 2006 M&R Technologies, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000